If you are a GLLG member and would like to use the organization’s logo anywhere in your business, we encourage you to do that! We’ve included several logo file types for your use below.
Great Lakes Lavender Growers are committed to providing the most up-to-date agricultural information to its members. We also want to provide basic and reliable resources to potential new growers who may be considering commercial lavender farming. Encouraging a new generation of lavender growers is very exciting to us.
Therefore, we have assembled on this page some popular, and relatively basic, readings on lavender production and marketing. You will also find recent and well-regarded books on the subject as well as links to popular websites and regional and national organizations that provide reliable information. Keep in mind there is a lot of information floating on the web that some might not consider ‘reliable’. Most, if not all, of these resources reproduced below come from what we consider to be more reliable sources, such as universities and government agencies. However, as with any research, be critical of what you read and its source. We provide these in the spirit of helping producers or potential producers find answers to their questions.
GLLG Logo Files for Member Use
Lavender Production and Marketing
- Paola Legarre Presentation on Diversification (2018 GLLG Conference)
- Paola Legarre Presentation on Distillation (2018 GLLG Conference)
- “Growing and Marketing Lavender,” by Curtis Beus
- “Introduction to Commercial Lavender Production,” by Curtis Beus
- “Lavender Production, Products, Markets and Entertainment Farms,” by Katherine Adams
- “Meeting the Challenges for Lavender Production, by John Phair
- “So You Want to Grow Lavender? Considerations and Cautions,” by Dr. Sean Westerveld, ONspecialitycrops
- “Soil Preparation for Lavender,” Dr. Curtis Swift, Colorado State University Extension
- “Why Lavender Growers Should be Concerned about Phytophthora Root and Crown Rot Disease, and How to Avoid Infecting Your Crop,” by Martha Wilczynski, Wynne Wright and Mary Bergstrom
- “Growing Lavender in Colorado,” by K. A. Kimbrough and C.E. Swift
- “Increasing Lavender Production and Oil Producers through the use of Hoop Housing and Soil Amendments,” SARE Report
- “Lavender,” by Matt Ernst, University of Kentucky Extension
- “Lavender Production in Massachusetts,” UMass Extension
- “Lavender Production Information,” by Cindy Fake, University California Extension
- “Lavender Production Basics for Northeastern New York,” by Dr. Lily Calderwell, Cornell Extension and Diane and David Allen, Lavenlair Farm.
- ONspecialitycrops (search for articles on lavender or by Dr. Sean Westerveld)
- “Projected Start-up Costs – Lavender Production Developed by Rod Sharp, Regional Extension Specialist, Agriculture and Business Management,” by Colorado State University Extension
- “Lavender: History, Taxonomy, and Production,” by Joe-Ann McCoy, NC State Extension
- Bader- Berringer, Sarah. 2012. The Lavender Lovers Handbook. Timber Press, Portland, OR
- McNaughton, Virginia. 2000. Lavender: The Grower’s Guide. Timber Press, Portland, OR
- Platt, Ellen Spector. 2009. Lavender: How to Grow and Use the Fragrant Herb. Stackpole Books.
- Upson, T. and Andrews, S. 2004. The Genus Lavandula. Timber Press, Inc.
National Lavender Associations/Organizations
- Lavender Association of Western Colorado
- Ontario Lavender Association
- Oregon Lavender Association
- Texas Lavender Association
- Washington Lavender Association
- United States Lavender Growers Association (USLGA)
- Kiran Babu, G.D., V. Thakur and B. Singh. 2016. “Variability in the Composition of Lavandula angustifolia Extracts due to Extraction Methods.” Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants, 22(2): 173-182.
- Gül, Mevlut, Murside Cagla Ormeci Kart & Bekir Sitki Sirikci. 2016. “Determining Costs and Profitability of Lavender Farms in Isparta Province of Turkey,” Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants
- Singh, S. V. Singh, G.D. Kiran Babu, V. K. Kaul and P.S. Ahuja. 2007. “Economics of Lavender (Lavandula Officinalis L.) in Himachal Pradesh.” Journal of Non-Timber Forest Products,14(2):97-100.
- Zheljazkov, V.D., C. L. Cantrell, T. Astatkie, and E. Jeliazkova. 2013. “Distillation Time Effect on Lavender Essential Oil.” Journal of Oleo Science, 62(4): 195-199.